LASSA FEVER - WEST AFRICA (38): NIGERIA
Posted on 18TH JUL 2018
tagged Lassa Fever, West Africa; Nigeria
Date: Sun 8 Jul 2018
Source: Nigeria Centre for Disease Control [edited]
- In the reporting Week 27 (2-8 Jul 2018) 7 new confirmed cases were reported from Ondo (3), Edo (2), Taraba (1) and Plateau (1) with 3 deaths: Ondo (2) and Plateau (1).
- From 1 Jan-8 Jul 2018, a total of 2115 suspected cases have been reported from 21 states. Of these, 446 were confirmed positive, 10 are probable, 1652 negative (not a case).
- Since the onset of the 2018 outbreak, there have been 115 deaths in confirmed cases and 10 in probable cases. Case fatality rate in confirmed cases is 25.4 per cent (table 1: see URL above).
- 21 states have recorded at least one confirmed case across 71 Local Government Areas (Edo, Ondo, Bauchi, Nasarawa, Ebonyi, Anambra, Benue, Kogi, Imo, Plateau, Lagos, Taraba, Delta, Osun, Rivers, FCT, Gombe, Ekiti, Kaduna, Abia and Adamawa). Seventeen states have exited the active phase of the outbreak, while 4 -- Edo, Ondo, Plateau and Taraba states -- remain active (table 1/figure 1: see URL above).
- In the reporting week 27, no new healthcare worker was infected; 39 health care workers have been affected since the onset of the outbreak in 7 states - Ebonyi (16), Edo (14), Ondo (4), Kogi (2), Nasarawa (1), Taraba (1) and Abia (1) with 10 deaths in Ebonyi (6), Kogi (1), Abia (1), Ondo (1) and Edo (1).
- 81 per cent of all confirmed cases are from the states of Edo (42 per cent), Ondo (24 per cent) and Ebonyi (15 per cent).
- 4 patients are currently being managed at treatment centres -- 2 at Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital (ISTH) and 2 at the Federal Medical Centre Owo Treatment Centre (table 1: see URL above).
- A total of 5713 contacts have been identified from 21 states. Of these 156 (2.7 per cent) are currently being followed up; 5547 (97.1 per cent) have completed 21 days follow up, while 10 (0.2 per cent) were lost to follow up. 85 symptomatic contacts have been identified, of which 29 (34 per cent) have tested positive from 5 states (Edo-13, Ondo-8, Ebonyi-3, Kogi -3 Bauchi-1 and Adamawa-1) (table 1: see URL above).
- Lassa fever national multi-partner, multi-agency Technical Working Group (TWG) continues to coordinate response activities at all levels.
Figure 1 [map]: Distribution of confirmed Lassa fever cases in Nigeria as at 8 Jul 2018.
Figure 2 [map]: Distribution of suspected and confirmed Lassa fever cases in Nigeria by LGA.
Figure 3 [graph]: Epicurve of Lassa fever confirmed (437) and probable (10) cases in Nigeria week 1-27, 2018.
Figure 4 [graph]: Weekly trends of Lassa fever confirmed cases in Nigeria, 2016-2018.
Figure 5 [graph]: Confirmed Lassa fever cases in Nigeria with state specific case fatality rates (CFR) as at 8 Jul 2018.
Figure 6 [graph]: Age-sex distribution of confirmed Lassa fever cases in Nigeria as at 10 Jun 2018.
ProMED-mail from HealthMap Alerts
[The graphs in the above report clearly show that the Lassa fever virus transmission peak has passed. However, the 7 new confirmed cases indicate that Lassa fever virus transmission continues, and a few more cases might occur. Fortunately, no health care workers were infected during this reporting period. This outbreak has been widespread, occurring in 21 states and 71 local government areas. It would be interesting to know whether the prevalence of Lassa fever virus has been increasing in populations of rodent hosts in this area.
Images of the rodent reservoirs of Lassa fever virus, _Mastomys natalensis_ can be seen at https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/45326-Mastomys-natalensis and _M. erythroleucus_ and _Hylomycus pamfi_ at: http://punchng.com/nigerias-large-rat-population-threatens-lassa-fever-war/.
The maps and graphs in the report above are interesting and provide a good picture of how the outbreak has progressed over time. They can be accessed at the source URL above.
Maps of Nigeria: http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/profile/nigeria.pdf and http://healthmap.org/promed/p/62. - Mod.TY]
Lassa fever - West Africa (36): Nigeria (ON) 20180701.5884285
Lassa fever - West Africa (34): Nigeria 20180617.5859861
Lassa fever - West Africa (31): Nigeria 20180605.5840563
Lassa fever - West Africa (29): Nigeria 20180530.5829096
Lassa fever - West Africa (26): Nigeria 20180509.5790856
Lassa fever - West Africa (25): WHO Nigeria 20180422.5761965
Lassa fever - West Africa (23): Liberia, WHO 20180417.5753003
Lassa fever - West Africa (22): Nigeria 20180410.5738206
Lassa fever - West Africa (21): Nigeria 20180406.5727850
Lassa fever - West Africa (20): Nigeria 20180327.5714291
Lassa fever - West Africa (19): Nigeria 20180315.5687321
Lassa fever - West Africa (18): Nigeria (BA) 20180313.5683816
Lassa fever - West Africa (16): Nigeria 20180306.5670231
Lassa fever - West Africa (14): Nigeria 20180228.5655382
Lassa fever - West Africa (13): Nigeria 20180222.5645501
Lassa fever - West Africa (12): Nigeria 20180221.5641157
Lassa fever - West Africa (11): Nigeria, WHO 20180215.5629350
Lassa fever - West Africa (10): Nigeria 20180212.5622070
Lassa fever - West Africa (07): Nigeria 20180206.5608967
Lassa fever - West Africa (06): Nigeria (DE, ON) 20180201.5600192
Lassa fever - West Africa (05): Nigeria 20180131.5597457
Lassa fever - West Africa (04): Nigeria 20180125.5585380
Lassa fever - West Africa (03): Benin (AK) ex Nigeria, WHO 20180124.5581805