LASSA FEVER - WEST AFRICA (20): NIGERIA
Posted on 27TH MAR 2018
tagged Lassa Fever, West Africa; Nigeria
Date: Sun 25 Mar 2018
Source: Nigeria Centre for Disease Control Situation Report [edited]
Lassa fever outbreak in Nigeria 2018
- In reporting week 12, 19-25 Mar 2018, 18 new confirmed cases were recorded from 10 States - Edo (5 cases), Ondo (2), Bauchi (1), Ebonyi (2), Taraba (3), Plateau (1), Kogi (1), Osun (1) FCT (1) and Gombe (1), with 6 new deaths in confirmed cases from Edo (1), Taraba (2), Ebonyi (1), Plateau (1) and Gombe (1).
- From 1 Jan - 25 Mar 2018, a total of 1613 suspected cases. Of these, 394 confirmed positive, 9 are probable, 1198 are negative (not a case) and 12 are awaiting laboratory results (pending).
- Since the onset of the 2018 outbreak, there have been 134 deaths: 95 in positive-confirmed cases, 9 in probable cases and 30 in negative cases. Case fatality rate in confirmed cases is 24.1 percent (Table 1).
- 19 states have recorded at least one confirmed case across 56 Local Government Areas (Edo, Ondo, Bauchi, Nasarawa, Ebonyi, Anambra, Benue, Kogi, Imo, Plateau, Lagos, Taraba, Delta, Osun, Rivers, FCT, Gombe, Ekiti and Kaduna); 7 states have exited the active phase of the outbreak, while 12 states remain active (Table 1/ Figure 1).
- In reporting week 12, no new healthcare worker was affected; 17 health care workers have been affected since the onset of the outbreak in 6 states - Ebonyi (9), Nasarawa (1), Kogi (2), Benue (1), Ondo (1) and Edo (3) with 4 deaths in Ebonyi (3) and Kogi (1)
- 81 percent of all confirmed cases are from Edo (42 percent) Ondo (23 percent) and Ebonyi (16 percent) states.
- 27 cases are currently under treatment in treatment centres across 9 states - Edo (9), Ondo (5), Ebonyi (5), Bauchi (2), Taraba (3), Plateau (1), Osun (1) and Kogi (1).
- A total of 4005 contacts have been identified from 19 states. Of these, 763 (19.0 percent) are currently being followed up; 3235 (80.8 percent) have completed 21 days follow up, while 7 (0.2 percent) were lost in follow up. 23 (36 percent) of the 64 symptomatic contacts have tested positive from 3 states (Edo-12, Ondo-7, Ebonyi-3 and Kogi-1).
- WHO and NCDC have scaled up response at National and State levels.
- National RRT team (NCDC staff and NFELTP residents) batch C continues response support in Ebonyi, Ondo, Edo, Bauchi and Taraba States.
- National Lassa fever multi-partner multi-agency Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) continues to coordinate the response activities at all levels.
Figure 1 [map]. Distribution of Confirmed Lassa Fever cases in Nigeria as at 25 Mar 2018
Figure 2 [map]. Distribution of Suspected and Confirmed Lassa Fever cases in Nigeria by LGA
Figure 3 [graph]. Confirmed (394) and Probable (9) Cases of Lassa fever by epidemiological week in Nigeria week 1-12, 2018
Figure 4 [graph]. Confirmed Lassa fever cases in Nigeria with state specific case fatality rates (CFR) as at 25 Mar 2018
Figure 5 [graph]: Epicurve of confirmed cases Lassa fever in Edo State week 1-12, 2018
Figure 6 [graph]: Distribution of Lassa fever confirmed cases in Edo State by LGA as at 25 Mar 2018
Figure 7 [graph]: Epicurve of Lassa fever confirmed cases in Ondo State week 1-12, 2018
Figure 8 [graph]: Epicurve of Lassa fever confirmed cases in Ebonyi State week 1-12, 2018
ProMED-mail Rapporteur Mary Marshall
[The graphs of the epidemic curves indicate that the peak number of cases nationally has passed. However, the Lassa fever period can be expected to continue for another 2-3 months into June 2018. New cases have occurred over the past few days in several states. Providing adequate surveillance and timely treatment over such a large geographic area is challenging. Fortunately, there is international help participating in treatment and surveillance.
The maps and graphs in the above report are interesting and provide a good picture of how the outbreak has progressed over time. They can be accessed at the above URL.
Maps of Nigeria: http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/profile/nigeria.pdf,
http://healthmap.org/promed/p/62. - Mod.TY]
Lassa fever - West Africa (19): Nigeria 20180315.5687321
Lassa fever - West Africa (18): Nigeria (BA) 20180313.5683816
Lassa fever - West Africa (16): Nigeria 20180306.5670231
Lassa fever - West Africa (14): Nigeria 20180228.5655382
Lassa fever - West Africa (13): Nigeria 20180222.5645501
Lassa fever - West Africa (12): Nigeria 20180221.5641157
Lassa fever - West Africa (11): Nigeria, WHO 20180215.5629350
Lassa fever - West Africa (10): Nigeria 20180212.5622070
Lassa fever - West Africa (07): Nigeria 20180206.5608967
Lassa fever - West Africa (06): Nigeria (DE, ON) 20180201.5600192
Lassa fever - West Africa (05): Nigeria 20180131.5597457
Lassa fever - West Africa (04): Nigeria 20180125.5585380
Lassa fever - West Africa (03): Benin (AK) ex Nigeria, WHO 20180124.5581805
Lassa fever - West Africa (02): Nigeria, Benin (AK) ex Nigeria 20180124.5576379
Lassa fever - West Africa: Nigeria 20180115.5561615